Monday 3 May 2021

The End of Everything by Katie Mack

 

This month I’m recommending Katie Mack’s The End of Everything .

I actually bought this book, with another one, for my husband’s birthday.  It’s an academic book, so not all that cheap but a quick look at Amazon today shows that you can buy it at a reasonable price. He suggested I should read it.  I was a little hesitant at first because it is    book about science. I love science but I don’t always understand it. I needn’t have worried. This book is very readable.

Here we have an overview of how the world might end.  We’re used to the Big Bang.  Now we’re looking at the other end.  Don’t worry, though, it’s billions of years off yet.

Katie Mack covers the five most important issues being discussed in physics today about how it all might end: The Big Crunch, Heat Death, the Big Rip, Vacuum Decay and Bounce. She also explains the Big Bang in detail. She takes us by the hand and leads us gently but firmly through the intricacies of a complex science. And also with a wonderful sense of humour.

Yes, The End of Everything, Astrophysically Speaking, a well-researched, scientific, academic book but written with the lay person in mind, is worth a read. Katie Mack is witty and clear in her explanations.

Grab your copy here.     

No comments:

Post a Comment