Sunday 10 June 2012

Something Invisible by Siobhán Parkinson


At 182 pages this is a respectable length for a teen / late middle grade book. Yet I read it extremely quickly. I started yesterday morning and I it finished this morning. It just carried me along.
Jake is a pleasant enough young man but falters a little when his baby sister arrives. She is the daughter of his biological mother and the man he calls dad. Sally from round the corner and her elderly next-door neighbour befriend him and give him food for thought. Then some other things happen but I won’t tell you what because I don’t want to spoil it for you.  
Why did it hold me so much?
The chapters are just the right length. Some of them are very short. Some of them are longer but none are too long. All, actually, are just exactly as long as they need to be. Jake’s voice is just right. He’s a great character, anyway, as is Sally, and Mrs Kennedy – the old lady-with-arthritis from next-door. Other adults and children hover in the background but they are no less real or rounded. The adults are clumsy, as is often the case in books written for this age group, yet we can’t help but forgive them. Siobhán Parkinson treats them kindly.
A lovely read indeed.       
             

No comments:

Post a Comment